Sometimes, no matter what I plan for lunches during the week, things change – and I find myself facing an empty lunch box with no idea of what to put in it.
Enter homemade burritos: healthy, easy to make, easily frozen and reheated, tasty, and filling, too.
My whole family likes these burritos. We eat them occasionally for dinner, but I make big batches and put them in the freezer, where I can remove them whenever someone needs a random meal or I need to grab something quick.
These can be customized easily, so if you prefer your burritos cheesier or spicier, that’s not hard to do. I keep them mild so that our kids enjoy them, too.
A friend and I have gotten together a few times to wrap burritos and hang out while our children play together. Work is always more fun when done with a friend!
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 2 bags of dried black beans, cooked
- 2-4 c. shredded cheddar cheese
- 2-4 c. salsa
- 1-2 onions
- 1-2 green peppers
- 2 T. cumin
- 2 t. ground red pepper
- 2 t. oregano
- 4 t. garlic powder
- 2 t. onion powder
- 2 t. sea salt
- 2 t. ground pepper
- 40 tortilla shells
- paper towels or small kitchen cloths
- Chop your onions and peppers into small pieces.
- Cook the veggies with the beef, draining off any grease.
- Put the meat and veggies into a Dutch oven.
- Add the spices.
- Add the beans, cheese, and salsa.
- Stir and cook over low heat until cheese is melted and all ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
- Remove from heat.
- Place a tortilla onto a paper towel/cloth.
- Spoon 1/2 c. of the meat mixture into the tortilla, putting it into a longish shape.
- Fold the ends towards each other, then fold one side over and roll. Wrap in the towel/cloth the same way.
- Depending on the size of tortillas that you use, this recipe yields 24-40 tortillas.
- Place wrapped tortillas into a zip-tight bag to freeze.
- To serve, heat in the towel until the middle is hot. You may need to flip the burrito once during heating.
- Our kids like to pick these up and eat them like sandwiches. They're also great topped with your favorite taco toppings.