When I saw this recipe on Pinterest a few weeks ago, I knew this was an idea I needed to try. After scanning the recipe, I realized that it used ingredients I don’t keep on hand, so I decided to make up my own – and this is what I got.
I must confess that this was not a favorite of my husband’s. I think he’d rather just have a huge chunk of bread full of meat and cheese – and he’d happily pass on any veggie-style toppings.
On the other hand, I loved it. It’s simple, rich, full of flavor, easy to make, and it really appeared decadent to me. We don’t eat lots of red meat, so the flavors of the steak mingled with cheeses and caramelized veggies was perfect in my book. I can’t wait to make these again!
So if you’re feeling adventurous and in the mood for something rich and meaty, give these Cheesesteak-Stuffed Peppers a try.
- 2 large bell peppers
- 1 onion, diced
- thinly sliced steak, 1-1/2 c. I used leftover steak from the night before - it worked perfectly and was a great way to use up meat that might otherwise have dried out. These juicy veggies kept that from happening here. 🙂
- 1/2 c. Italian blend shredded cheese
- dash of olive oil
- Saute your onion in olive oil until caramelized.
- Add steak to combine.
- Slice your peppers in half from top to bottom and remove core and seeds.
- Sprinkle a pinch of cheese in the bottom of each one.
- Fill and mound each pepper half with the meaty mixture.
- Top with more cheese.
- Bake peppers at 350 for 30 - 45 minutes until cooked through.