I love being able to help people out, so when someone asked for our Easy, Cheesy Spanish Rice recipe, I excitedly said, “Sure!”
My kids love this rice. They cheer every time I make it and fight over the leftovers – of which there’s never much. It’s easy to throw together, full of flavor, and makes a great side dish. We love to eat it alongside tacos, enchiladas, nachos, or just beside a big taco salad.
Everyone in our house loves rice, so I tend to make a double batch each time we make it. That means we’re ending up with a large bowl of this Spanish rice, but that’s okay – it’s good and moist, so it reheats well. Not that there is much of this left – we usually eat the majority of it.
I make this rice in my rice cooker; I bought this appliance at a great discount last year after struggling to cook different varieties of brown rice properly. The procedure should work just the same, however, for preparing regular not-minute rice.
- chicken stock
- olive oil
- shredded cheese (Monterey Jack, Colby Jack, or cheddar)
- Measure your rice directed.
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Replace 1/2 of the water with chicken stock.
- Add 1/2 c. of salsa.
- Replace the remaining missing liquid with water.
- Cook as directed.
- Stir in 1/2 - 3/4 c. of shredded cheese.
- Cover rice again, let sit for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Serve hot.