Every night’s a good night for pasta, right? When a meeting got thrown into the mix at the last minute, the meal I had planned wouldn’t work. I was stumped – I had a beautiful, cook-and-serve-immediately dinner on the brain, and now we needed something that could be prepped ahead of time.
That’s where this Garlic Alfredo Pasta dish comes in.
I’ve been hungry for some pasta fettuccini Alfredo, anyway, and this dish has all of those flavors. Instead of serving it as individual dishes, though, as I normally would, I combined it into a casserole that contained all the food groups – and lest that sound ‘weird,’ trust me – these are delicious combinations.
It’s not exactly a one-dish dinner, of course, since each component needs to be prepared individually, but it’s definitely a cut above your typical casserole. It would be a great dish to double and stick the second into the freezer or to gift one to a friend or neighbor.
So what is Garlic Alfredo Pasta, anyway?
It’s marinated chicken with steamed broccoli and pasta smothered in a light, garlicky Alfredo sauce and topped with gooey mozzarella cheese.
- 12 oz pasta
- 2 chicken breasts, cleaned, cut in 1-inch pieces
- Italian marinade
- 1 lb frozen broccoli
- 4 T. butter
- 4 T. flour
- 2 T. minced garlic
- 1 1/2 c. chicken broth
- 1 1/2 c. whole milk
- 3/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
- salt & pepper to taste
- Saute the chicken in the Italian dressing in a hot skillet. Toss frequently for 4-6 minutes until browned and cooked through. Remove from heat.
- Cook pasta. Add the broccoli to the pasta pot for the last 5 minutes of cooking time.
- Drain pasta and set aside.
- In the empty pasta pot, melt the butter.
- Stir in the garlic and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the flour.
- Slowly add the chicken stock, stirring constantly.
- Slowly add the milk, stirring constantly. Simmer for 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until sauce thickens.
- Stir in the grated Parmesan cheese.
- In a buttered casserole dish, layer the chicken, the pasta, and the broccoli.
- Pour the sauce over the top.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese over the top.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes at 350 degrees until hot and bubbly.
- Serve immediately.