I recently saw a picture in passing of fluffy cupcakes decorated as lambs for Easter, and since My Little Man loves to bake, I knew this project would be right up his alley. I don’t remember where we saw the picture, so we decided to make up our own ‘recipe.’
These cupcakes are not exactly a low-sugar treat, but they’re definitely fun to make – and to share. We took them to our weekly playgroup meeting and shared with our friends, and then shared more with several neighbors. Spread out like that, it makes a much more reasonable treat – and it’s a great way to spread the Good News, too.
During our school time, we read about how Jesus is the Lamb of the World, taken from John 1:29. We talked about how that means that Jesus paid for all of our sins when He died on the cross, just like the Israelites used lambs to pay for their sins before this. For his daily writing practice, My Little Man wrote, “Jesus, the Lamb of God who takes away our sins.”
To create your own flock of Godly lambs, simply:
- We started with our basic Goofy Cake recipe and baked them as cupcakes (20 minutes at 350 for regular sized ones.) Note: Most of our recipes work well with white-wheat flour and are already fairly low in sugar, but this recipe is not conducive to these changes. It works best with white flour, though it isn’t bad with white wheat, and the full amount of white sugar. This recipe makes about 24 regular sized cupcakes.
- When cool, ice each cupcake with a thin layer of Mom’s White Icing (See recipe below.)
- Stick a large marshmallow near one edge to be the head. Ours were turned every which way, and we thought as a whole it made the ‘flock’ look pretty interesting.
- Cover the rest of the top with mini-marshmallows.
- Near the edge opposite the head, place a black jellybean between marshmallows as a tail.
- Create a face. Slicing another black jellybean in half gave the sheep an interesting bug-eyed look, but for most we opted for simple gray dots made out of icing. We piped pink crescents for smiles, and voila! you’ve got a herd of Godly lambs.
- 2/3 c. shortening
- 3 c. 10X sugar
- 1 t. vanilla
- dash of salt
- 5 T. milk