We recently hosted the 2012 Water Olympics in our yard. It was a very fun event (more on that tomorrow) and called for a snack worthy of an Olympian.
The kids and I decided to make these Olympic Torch Cupcakes.
These cupcakes were lots of fun to make and very refreshing on a hot day. They are a bit messy to eat, especially for little ones, but that was half the fun! Colored sprinkles could make them look even more torch-like.
It was fun to pass these out to the kids and see how they reacted. I was happy to see that many of them got the ‘torch’ reference immediately. One kid hopped to his feet, thrust out his arm, and yelled, “I’m the Statue of Liberty!”
So if you’re throwing an Olympic party or just want a fun summer snack, here’s how to make your own Olympic Torch Cupcakes:
- ice cream cones (I used kid-sized cones)
- cake batter (I used this Goofy Cake recipe and had more than enough for 24 cones)
- ice cream (we chose vanilla)
- whipped cream in a spray-can
- Bake the cupcakes in the cones. I stood each cone up inside a cupcake tin to make it sturdier. My cupcakes in the mini cones baked for 25-30 minutes.
- When ready to serve, top with ice cream.
- Spray the cream in a swirly-fashion on to resemble the flames of a torch.
Do you have big plans for this year’s Olympics? We’d love to hear about them!