My mom makes this really amazing pumpkin cake. It’s thick, moist, and rich, and it gets rave reviews everywhere. I generally dislike icing, too, but this cream cheese variety is yummy. It’s the only type of icing I want more of.
But, like all tasty things, cake isn’t exactly good for you (though this one is full of vitamin-rich pumpkin), so I set out to see if I could make it a bit healthier without losing that ‘wow’ factor. It was either that or buy bigger pants.
I think it worked. The recipe swapping, not the pants-buying.
The changes are super small, but they help, and the cake is still rich, moist, and full of happy pumpkin flavor.
If you’re looking for a great dessert that just screams “fall is here!” you should definitely try this one.
Here’s how to make your own Pumpkin Bars with Cream Cheese Icing:
- 1 c. sugar
- 2 c. white-wheat flour
- 4 eggs
- 2 t. cinnamon
- 1/2 c. oil
- 2 t. baking soda
- 2 c. pureed pumpkin
- 1/2 t. salt
- Icing Ingredients:
- 1/2 stick softened butter
- 3 c. 10X sugar
- 8 oz. softened cream cheese
- 2 t. vanilla
- 1 c. chopped walnuts (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, first the dry, then the wet.
- Stir until well mixed.
- Pour into a 15″ x 10″ jelly roll pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 – 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Blend all ingredients with a mixer.
- Spread on the cooled cake.
- Top with chopped nuts.
I might have to make another one of these soon. I love this cake! What’s your favorite fall dessert?