I planned to make something new last week – a new kind of healthy Mexican recipe that the Big Helper and I were excited about.
Until one ingredient didn’t behave as expected.
At the very last minute, I needed to change things up, and these burrito bowls were the result. We really liked them. The veggies are spicy, and they’re easily customizable to suit everyone in your family.
- 3 cups rice, white or brown
- 3 small zucchini
- 1 onion
- 1 green pepper
- 1 T. olive oil
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 t. cumin
- 1/2 t. crushed red pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups black beans, cooked
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- diced tomatoes (opt)
- shredded cheese (opt)
- salsa (opt)
- Cook the rice according to package directions.
- Slice the onion and the bell pepper.
- Preheat a large saucepan and add olive oil.
- Add chopped zucchini, onion, green pepper, and garlic.
- Cook through.
- Add cumin, red pepper, salt, and ground black pepper.
- Mix to combine.
- Push the veggies to one side of the pan and add the corn and beans to the clear side to heat through.
- Spoon rice into the bottom of each bowl.
- Top with beans, veggies, and then corn. Add additional toppings as desired.
- Serve hot.
- We enjoyed these bowls with the above ingredients. If meat is desired, add your cooked meat directly to the bowl above the rice and enjoy!